Monday, February 13, 2012

Musings From The Pool

I thought of something neat last week while I was swimming. The workouts are designed with a warm-up, followed by several sets. There is a specific workout within each set. For instance, Set #1 this morning was 5 x 100 metres, repeat. So a total of 1000 metres for Set #1. There are often 4-5 sets and the total workout is usually between 2800 to 3100 metres. I only swim for 1 hour even though we can be in the pool for an hour and 15 minutes.

Now I am digressing a little...what struck me last week and again today is that the warm-up was 500 metres. Not really a big deal, except for when I think back to 1996/97 when I was training for my first triathlon. For my first triathlon ever I did the short course of the UBC Triathlon. The short course consists of a 400m swim. That's it. Just 400m and yet back then, it was all I could do to swim 400m! I vaguely remember going to the UBC pool and practicing for the triathlon. It was a struggle for me just to swim 400m and that is about all I did. I would go, swim 400m and that would be it. Fast forward to 2012, and it is standard for just the warm-up of my swim to be 400m or more. I feel quite proud of how far I have come over the years with swimming. I am by no means a fast swimmer and I strongly feel that swimming is an area where I won't make huge improvements. I just don't have the right technique and have been swimming the same (incorrect) was for so many years that it is hard to change. However, it is fantastic to see that my stamina has improved immensely over the years.

1 comment:

  1. way to go, tricia! isn't it fun to reflect on our fitness journies! i was reminded this past weekend of when i started running and i used to say to my dad, "talk me up this hill!"
    and don't you also just love how when you're swimming or running and your mind has these "a-ha" moments. i think the repetitive nature of these sports allows for positive thinking time!
    happy valentine's day!

    ReplyDelete